No, this is not an insurance plan. This plan provides you with discounted prices on a wide range of services; you will pay for services at the discounted price at the time services are received.
Dental insurance plans are designed to financially assist you in the cost of dental treatment needed as the result of dental disease or accidents. As with medical policies, you pay a monthly rate or premium and are entitled to a certain level of benefits. Plan provisions and benefit amounts can vary from plan to plan, but most dental plans have a yearly maximum payout, deductibles (usually waived on preventive services), and waiting periods for major services such as tooth replacements. Covered services are classified as:
- Diagnostic –examinations, x-rays
- Preventive – cleanings and examination,
- Basic – fillings, root canal treatment, extractions
- Major – crowns, bridges, dentures
Your financial responsibility can vary depending on the benefit level assigned to a particular service. For example, a filling, which is considered a basic service, may be payable at 80% of the dentist’s fee, leaving you with a copayment of 20%. Whereas, the benefits for a major service (denture or crown) may be paid at a 50%, leaving you with a larger portion of the cost.
Some dental insurance plans can be purchased with orthodontia benefits, but cosmetic services are considered non-covered services in most plans.